Stylish, spacious rooms and breakfast, at the castle near Giverny (5 min), halfway between Paris and Rouen (50 minutes)

Home page > en > The Castle of Madeleine in Normandy > A special history

A special history ( français )

The first occupant of these premises, in the 12th century, was St. Adjutor, patron saint of the river sailors. Grandson of Richard Vernon, he went on a crusade with his 200 men, and was taken prisoner at the battle of Tambire. Sainte Madeleine miraculously brought him back through the air with his chains to a place called "le Mont" where the castle is built. After becoming a hermit, he performed a miracle by throwing his chains of captivity in one of the whirlpools of the river, which were a subject of terror to sailors at that time.

St. Adjutor then built a monastery on this place dedicated to St. Madeleine. There is only one wall left to the west of the property.

In 1407 a monk named Jean le Vigneron is thought to have rebuilt, on the present site of the castle, a priory called "priory of La Madeleine," which remained church property until 1789, when it was confiscated. The property was purchased by an officer of the Empire, General de Bremont, married to a Pomeranian princess,

Casimir de la Vigne then becomes the owner of the house. A great nineteenth-century poet and playwright , he was the youngest member of the French Academy, and he too fell in love with La Madeleine. But after some setbacks he was forced to resell the place ... “Farewell, dear Madeleine "....

In 1849, the wealthy Baron Thenard, inventor of hydrogen peroxide, purchased the property, but died three years later, without having had time to start the renovations. His widow and daughter, having traveled throughout Europe, launched out into considerable works to give the castle its present appearance, combining baroque and rococo elements.

The Thénard family retained ownership until the early twentieth century. In 1924, the furnishings of the Castle were put up for auction and the castle was sold to M. Gianotti, architect of the Maginot Line. The latter added his personal touch to the Madeleine by building the far right wing of the castle, rightfully called "the bunker", and his wife obtained the listing of the park with its 120 rare essences.

During World War II, the property was used as a school, a summer camp, but also as a resting place for the German Kriegsmarine. In 1945, when the Allied troops crossed the Seine at Vernon, the castle park was the scene of heavy fighting, in which seven Englishmen were killed.

After the war, the property was bought up by M. Lebrejal who restored the chapel. In 1960, the Lebrejals resold it to the Drouot firm who wanted to make a nursing home and a housing development in the woods. But as the site is classified, this housing estate project was banned, and la Madeleine was left in neglect.

In 1980 the Clermont couple fell in love with the place and acquired it. On her death in 1989, Claude-Marie was buried in the park and her husband Jean-Pierre continued the adventure. In March 2000, the castle became the property of his sons Paul Stephane and Olivier who have been restoring it since then.

Plan du château

articles

Plan du château

Galerie photos

photos

Galerie photos

Nous contacter et nous écrire

contact

Nous contacter et nous écrire